We worked with LEGOLAND® Windsor to bring the compelling narrative of their brand new IP LEGO® MYTHICA to life using AR. Utilizing the LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort native app to help visitors immerse themselves in this incredible new world and introduce them to the backstory, mythical creatures and enchanting realms.
LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort LEGO® MYTHICA gateway
2021 saw LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort build and execute not only a whole new area of the park, but look to find ways to rethink and innovate the guest experience. At the heart of their new IP was the central idea of two worlds linked together - the real world we inhabit and the hidden realm of LEGO® MYTHICA.
LEGOLAND® came to Zappar with the challenge of bringing this new brand proposition to life in a way that created meaningful and enduring engagement that extended beyond the time guests spent in the park. Zappar’s Creative Studio team worked with LEGOLAND® to blend the digital worlds with real-world features at LEGOLAND® Resorts.
1. Bring the new LEGO® MYTHICA brand proposition to life in a unique way through AR.
2. Create meaningful and enduring engagement by merging AR with physical experiences throughout the resorts.
3. Extend the journey and continued enjoyment of LEGOLAND® visitors beyond the time they physically spend in the park.
A big problem facing theme parks and other attractions has been creating a feeling of immersion, combining the physical and digital worlds, without placing visitors in front of a TV screen.
Bringing LEGO® MYTHICA statues to life with AR
We created a series of AR experiences accessed exclusively from the official LEGOLAND app where they were given different opportunities to engage with the mythical world: take selfies and videos with the creatures, collect digital cards about the characters and learn more about their backstory.
At the heart of the always-on activation was the central idea of two worlds linked together via a succession of world-tracked portals designed to blend the virtual with the physical LEGOLAND® Resorts creating a carefully curated physical and virtual journey.
The experience is designed to start before a guest arrives at the park. Guests are encouraged to download the app before leaving the house, engaging with a series of AR portals.
LEGO® MYTHICA portals
The experiences within LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort itself are activated off custom branded codes attached to large scale LEGO® statues that when scanned reveal their real-world characters in AR brought dramatically to life through a vortex.
LEGO® MYTHICA activation point and vortex
Guests can also receive collectible AR ‘POP Badges’ to scan and take home with them, featuring exclusive LEGO® MYTHICA designs that open spy holes into the realm featuring Maximus the Sky Lion and also the Baby Lava Dragons.
LEGO® MYTHICA pop badge experience
LEGO® MYTHICA studio work
It was quite a nice challenge to try and keep up with their team. The VFX team hadn't completed all of their work. It was interesting to watch how the characters progressed and how the storylines came in. It's almost a better way of learning about the product because we were all learning at the same time.
Stuart Bridgeman, Design Lead, Zappar
The highlight of this project for me was being able to create work for a brand new area of such an iconic park, MYTHICA was one of the biggest investments to the park since it opened. And having the opportunity to be a part of that and help bring that world to life in such an exciting way through AR is something I'll never forget.
Andre Assalino, Executive Creative Director, Zappar
The use of AR and spatial storytelling brings the core narrative of LEGO® MYTHICA and the bridge between these two worlds to life seamlessly and in dramatic fashion to enhance the guest experience.
The results since launch have shown just how powerful this has been:
1. Guests spend on average over 2 mins 30 seconds engaging with each individual statue and AR portal experience.
2. AR activity extends the user journey and time spent with the IP both before and after closing time at the Park through the portals, photo feature and POP badges.
3. In total, from launch in May 2021 up until the start of September 2021, LEGOLAND® Windsor guests have spent the equivalent of 114 days and 12 hours interacting with the AR experience in the app exploring the digital realm.
4. The campaign won a Blooploop Innovation bronze award being highly commended by the judges. The Blooloop Awards scheme is an annual scheme that celebrates and highlights outstanding innovation in the visitor attractions business.
“The greatest test of strategy is the execution, and we’ve had so many positive consumer responses”
Ash Tailor, VP, Global Brand & Marketing, LEGOLAND
Hear more from Ash Tailor in our 10x10 interview >>
Want to boost and extend engagement for your event or attraction? Our in-house team of AR creatives can help, get in touch today to have a chat with us.