We are Zappar, the world’s leading Augmented Reality platform and creative studio. It's our mission to democratize AR & MR.
Our team has created groundbreaking experiences for the world's biggest brands - showcasing how AR technology can transform packaging, illuminate events and elevate marketing campaigns with innovative, engaging content.
Our ZapWorks toolkit puts the power of AR in the hands of designers and developers, enabling them to push the boundaries of interactive creativity, both with and without code.
We are also the proud creators of ZapBox, the first affordable, mixed reality kit that allows developers and businesses to reimagine how they design, build and create 3D experiences.
What you’ll be doing:
Zappar is looking for a creative and technically-minded developer to join our AR development team. The role will involve working with Zappar’s next-generation AR platform to build best-in-class experiences for big name clients.
We’re offering you the opportunity to create work for some of the best brands in the world, with projects ranging from product visualisations to minigames. The pace can be fast, but you’d be supported by an amazing in-house team, and unlikely to ever get bored.
At Zappar we know that nothing beats the feeling of having your software running on tens of millions of excited users’ devices. We’d love for you to get in touch and help us reimagine how people experience and interact with the world around them.
A few things about you:
Creating AR content requires both creative and technical skills and you’ll be working with the below technologies so it’d be great if you had some knowledge of them or at least a keen interest!
These things would also be a bonus:
- You’ve been working in web development for a while, but you’re creatively minded with an agnostic approach to coding languages.
- Three.js has been one of your most used tools, and you know exactly how to set up a great 3D scene, using cameras, lighting, materials, particles, perhaps even shaders and physics.
- You like to add your own artistic flair to your work, but not at the expense of reliability.
- You’re familiar with Webpack, React and other JS frameworks.
- You’ve got good experience in interpreting UX flows, importing UI assets into your scenes and making them all come together in a fluid way.
- You’ve got experience working in a creative team environment.
- You’re proficient in understanding cross-browser compatibility issues, and finding ways to work around them.
- You’ve got strong knowledge of mobile web standards and best practices.
- A passion for AR/VR/MR or next generation media.
- Zapworks Studio uses Typescript, so TypeScript experience would be a good thing to have.
- Familiarity with 3D asset formats, including software packages.
- Familiarity with Adobe’s Creative Suite, and Sketch.
- Familiarity with A-Frame or Babylon.js.
- Game design experience.
All of these are just our wishlist though: please do get in touch if you feel you match our general aims and we can have a chat!
Other than the exciting work, any other pluses to working at Zappar?
While our Zappar family has got a lovely (dog-friendly!) office in beautiful, leafy Chiswick complete with shower facilities, bike storage and surrounded by some amazing shops, coffee shops and pubs, we run a ‘work where you work best’ policy (UK only!) so you can be fully remote if you wish. We operate flexible start and finish times to make life a bit easier for anyone who wants to spend time with their children, join an exercise class or just have a lie in!
For those in the office, we have Friday drinks and we have a quarterly town hall where we all get together for updates on the company performance. Our socials have included tours of the Sipsmith’s distillery and a team scavenger hunt across London. We truly are at the cutting edge of AR and have been recognized as one of Fast Company’s ‘World’s Most Innovative Companies’.
We actively encourage underrepresented applicants: if you need any assistance or additional information with applying, please contact Alys Martin (Head of People).