We are Zappar, the world’s leading Augmented Reality platform and creative studio. It's our mission to democratize AR & MR.
During our decade in the industry, our Creative Studio team has built over a thousand AR experiences in partnership with some of the world's biggest brands. Our team has been pioneers in showcasing how AR technology can transform packaging, illuminate events and elevate marketing campaigns with innovative, engaging content.
Our Augmented reality development toolkit, ZapWorks, puts the power of AR in the hands of designers and developers. Targeting a wide range of business customers, from Learning & Development teams at Fortune 500 companies, to some of the most innovative AR creative agencies across the world, our platform and suite of creative tools enables customers of all levels of technical and design abilities to push the boundaries of interactive creativity.
We are also the proud creators of ZapBox, the first affordable, mixed reality kit that allows developers and businesses to reimagine how they design, build and create 3D experiences.
What you will be doing?
It’s an exciting time to become a Product Designer at Zappar. Having celebrated our 10th year of trading earlier this year, we are entering a new phase of investment in our company's growth.
To help us to continue to deliver on our mission of democratising augmented reality, we are scaling up our technology team, enabling us to continue to develop our products, build new ones, and increase the amount and quality of work that we produce.
Over the past few years our team has been working on a number of successful product initiatives, from the game-changing transition from native apps to WebAR, the launch of our Universal AR SDKs, our ‘ZapWorks for Enterprise’ offering and many more features and improvements in between. Those, along with the award winning work of our Creative Studio, has made Zappar one of the leading businesses in the AR space.
Our product set includes:
- ZapWorks creative tools: ZapWorks Studio and ZapWorks Designer,
- The Universal AR SDKs: ThreeJs, Unity, ReactThreeJS, A-Frame,
- Our websites: Zappar.com, zap.works, ZapBox, and Documentation,
- The ZapWorks CMS and features we expose (Analytics, SAML SSO etc),
- Distribution / Publishing products (WebAR and Native apps),
- And lots more!
As a Product Designer, you will be working within a cross-functional platform team of designers, developers and product managers, reporting to our Design Lead. You will work across several products, working with our product managers to identify solutions to our customers needs.
Skills we are looking for:
We are looking for someone to join the team that is smart, inquisitive, ambitious, collaborative and humble. The right person will have a desire to help Zappar build upon the great work that has gone before, whilst contributing a fresh perspective based on their previous professional experience.
Please note that we don't expect anyone who joins Zappar to be "the finished product", we aren't even sure that exists... If you feel like you only meet a few of these skills below (but have a desire to learn the rest) then we do encourage you to apply anyway, we would love to hear from you.
Nice to have:
Augmented Reality / 3D design.
- Deep understanding of the design process.
- Strong UX, interface and visual design skills.
- Experience conducting user, customer and competitor research.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Experience partnering with product management and engineering.
- Strong cross functional collaboration.
- Experience working on complex applications.
- Experience in programs such as Adobe XD, PS, Illustrator and Sketch.
- An interest in keeping updated with the design industry news and trends.
The products we create enable our customers to build AR experience for the web and native apps. If you have any background working with either AR/VR products and engines or 3D models then that will give you a head start in understanding our products and designing solutions.
Your first 6 months
Here is what your first 6 months at Zappar could look like:
Within 1 month:
Within 3 months:
- Getting up to speed with Zappar’s products and services.
- Building your relationships within the design team.
- Meeting with other key stakeholders at the company across Marketing, Sales, Customer Success and Learning & Support to understand the wider context of your work.
- For ongoing projects, attending meetings and providing ideas.
- Ownership of a smaller project to get you some practical experience of working at Zappar
Within 6 months:
- Your designs are starting to be implemented by the engineering team.
- Established strong relationships with the design and wider product team(s).
- Better understanding of our product set and who are the customers that we serve.
- Working on more complex projects with a higher level of autonomy.
- You are a key contributor to the design team, with a high amount of autonomy on the projects assigned to you and have earned the trust of our Design Lead.
- Your design talent and flair is starting to show across the ZapWorks / Zappar ecosystem.
- You are a confident communicator across the business, and able to present your work to stakeholders of multiple levels and teams.
- You have developed a strong understanding of the augmented reality ecosystem and all the things that go with it.
- You are contributing ideas to the product roadmap based on your research and understanding of customers needs.
Culture at Zappar
While our Zappar family has got a lovely (dog-friendly!) office in beautiful, leafy Chiswick complete with shower facilities, bike storage and surrounded by some amazing shops, coffee shops and pubs, we run a ‘work where you work best’ policy (UK only) so you can be fully remote if you wish. We operate flexible start and finish times to make life a bit easier for anyone who wants to spend time with their children, join an exercise class or just have a lie in!
For those in the office, we have Friday drinks and we have a quarterly town hall where we all get together for updates on the company performance. Our socials have included tours of the Sipsmith’s distillery and a team scavenger hunt across London. We truly are at the cutting edge of AR and have been recognized as one of Fast Company’s ‘World’s Most Innovative Companies’.
We actively encourage underrepresented applicants: if you need any assistance or additional information with applying, please contact Alys Martin (Head of People).